Saturday, December 1, 2007

In the Beginning

The Lord of the Rings (a few years old, but pivotal to the history of cinematic visual effects.

Andy Serkis (Gollum) writes:
I had an emotional root to that sound. For me, it is where his pain is trapped. That emotional memory is trapped in that part of his body, his throat. In just doing the voice, I immediately got into the physicality of Gollum and embodied the part as I would if I were playing it for real.

Peter Jackson adds:
Serkis' performance was so strong as Gollum that the initial digital character has evolved throughout the production to be more like the actor. Gollum is probably the most actor-driven digital creature that has ever been used in a film before

Watch Andy Serkis perform as Gollum (not the best quality):



Back to Homepage

No comments: